I went to the Fall Shootout at Inspire Courts in Gilbert Friday night and all day Saturday. The 2-day event ran smoothly by Commander King and the Clark’s were gracious hosts.
After 2 days of viewing 11 games, these were some stars at the event, based on how well they performed. I have the players ranked by what class they are in - from the classes of 2013-2017.
It was interesting to see the older stars that are already committed to big time colleges, and then watch the younger boys in 8th and 9th grade. All the kids have the same love of the game.
Here are 25 top kids from many different grades that I saw this weekend.
Class of 2013 Top Prospects
1. Jaron Hopkins SG 6’5” Dobson HS (University of Colorado commit) - NBA athlete with improving floor game and shooting. Range out to the 3-point line.
2. Jalen Richard SG 6’4” Poston Butte HS (Santa Clara commit) - Strongest guard in class who gets to the FT line and is a mid-range gunner who extends to the 3-point line.
3. Kyndahl Holmes SF 6’4” Chandler HS - One of the most underrated in his class who does it all on defense and is working hard to improving his outside shooting.
4. Jeremy Verhagen PF 6’10” Florence HS (Grand Canyon commit) - A stretch-4 man who has a feathery touch out to the 3-point line, and has good timing blocking shots in the paint on defense.
5. AJ Warren SF 6’4” Chandler HS - Very good athlete who does a lot of little things well and is extending his shooting to the 3-point stripe.
6. Ben Quevos PG 6’1” Mcclintock HS - A quick first step to go by his man for a lay-up or an assist. His shooting is coming around in the mid to 3-point stripe.
7. Richard Holt PG 6’0” Basha HS - Another physically gifted player who is very strong and has speed. Outside shooting is streaky out to the 3-point line.
8. Troy Maseroll SG 6’1” Basha HS - Elite 3-point shooter when he catches and shoots. Handles are improving and so is his floor game.
9. Michael Clark PG 5’11” Perry HS - Good 3-point shooter with nice vision and he has some speed.
Class of 2014 Top Prospects
1. Legend Artis PF 6’4” Campo Verde HS 2014 - Extremely long wingspan and large hands to rebound or block shots in the paint. Has a nice mid-range shot with solid handles.
2. Carter Wilson SG 6’2” Queen Creek HS 2014- Another long player who has a very good first step to go by his man. Good 3-point shooter too, which makes it difficult to guard him.
3. Gavin Wood SG 6’4” Florence HS 2014 - Strong player with a beautiful stroke out to the 3-point stripe. He is a natural mid-range shooter. Can go down in the paint and get dirty also with his solid frame.
4. Blake Williams PG 6’1” Queen Creek HS 2014 -Blake is a natural shooter out to the 3pt stripe. He is a savvy passer with a high IQ.
Class of 2016 Top Prospects
1. John Ulmer SF 6’0” Mountain Pointe HS - This lefty has elite speed to blow by his man. His first step is explosive to get to the rim.
2. Bryan Battle PF 5’11” Marcos De Niza HS - Long wingspan to grab boards or block shots. Has many advanced moves down low to score.
3. Devin Kirby PF 6’5” Florence HS - Another long player with 3-point range. Likes the mid-range game the best. Very good inside player on defense to block shots or grab rebounds.
4. Maurice Walton C 6’3” 225 Marcos De Niza HS - Big strong kid with some solid moves in the paint. A true center, with a size 16 shoe already. Could be a special post player down the road.
5. Jacob Soliz C 6’1” 195 Corona Del Sol HS - Another strong post player who keeps the ball high to shoot lay-ups.
6. Simon Kubron SG 5’6” Campo Verde HS - Very good 3-point shooter who can also get to the rim. Can be a secondary guard, if needed be.
Class of 2017 Top Prospects
1. Bouka Mbegbu PF 6’2” Palo Verde MS - Super quick jumper and tremendous athlete overall. Strong rebounder and can alter or block most things that come his way. Makes every lay-up on the run. Needs to improve his outside shot.
2. Leon Chavez C 6’3” 170 Rancho Gabriella MS - Big strong kid who can make shots with his left or right hand. He has sneaky handles for a big. Knows how to get position early before he touches ball.
3. Chris Anderson Wright SG 5’10” Pueblo MS - Can score at all 3 levels. One of the best SG’s I have seen in 8th grade. High IQ allows him to make plays for others as well.
4. Treyvon McCray SG 5’8” Canyon Breeze MS - Another elite SG in 8th grade with long arms. This lefty has an amazing 1st step with a beautiful floater that looks like he perfected it.
5. Walter Tyndal PG 5’3” South Valley MS - Maybe the fastest player in the gym with the ball in his hands. A true PG who can score on all 3 levels and has great vision.
6. Tyler Tyndal PG 5’3” South Valley MS - Tyler is just as fast as his brother with great vision as well. More conservative then twin brother as he never forces any bad plays. Also a true PG.
7. Ellohein Clark PG 5’4” Rodgers ranch MS - Another true PG who can break his man down to find the open player. Has nice speed as well.