Arizona Preps is proud to release our first Team Rankings for high school boy's basketball in the state - Arizona Preps Super 25 Team Power Rankings. These rankings are our Top 25 overall team rankings in the state, regardless of Division or classification. These rankings are absolutely loaded. Our first release of the boy's Team Rankings are led by our #1 ranked overall team in the state - St. Mary's High School (13-1).
After losing their first game of the season to a very talented Sunnyslope High School team, St. Mary's has rolled through their competition - winning their last (13) games, with big wins over Paradise Honors (78-67), a huge win over Catalina Foothills on the road (48-46) and another huge win Thursday evening over a very talented Mountain Pointe team (70-40). The Knights are a young group with loads of talent, and Head Coach Damin Lopez and his coaching staff have the Knights playing excellent defense and sharing the basketball, which has made them very enjoyable to watch.
Sunnyslope High School (13-1) checks in at our #2 spot, as the Vikings are back to their winning ways. After winning their first (10) games of the season, which included a big road win over St. Mary's in their first game of the high school season, Sunnyslope lost to a very well-coached Mesa High School (13-1) team in overtime (51-49). Sunnyslope has also had numerous big wins this season over such programs as Valley Vista, Brophy Prep, Chaparral, Paradise Honors, Desert Vista, Basha and Apollo. They have also won their last (3) games on the season. Sunnyslope will have a huge game Saturday afternoon against undefeated Salpointe Catholic.
Salpointe Catholic (13-0) is very talented and also very well-coached, which will make for an absolutely intriguing match-up this weekend with Sunnyslope. It doesn't get much better than this match-up. Legendary Head Coach Jim Reynolds and his hard-working staff have developed a juggernaut that has rolled through all of their competition thus far this high school season, as Salpointe has not had a test yet this season - winning their games by an average margin of 20+ points this season. The coaching match-up of Reynolds and Sunnyslope's Ray Portela this weekend will be epic.
Mesa High School (13-1) has had a fantastic start to the high school season, and they are led by a nice group of prospects that are very well-coached and mirror their head coach Scott Stansberry and his coaching staff, as they are tough, play together and compete at a high level. Led by the stellar pint guard play of senior guard Steven Cervantes (Glendale JC commit), this team can beat anyone in the state. After an early season loss to Gilbert, the Jackrabbits have won their last (10) games on the season, and are primed for a big state title run in the 6A Division.
Perry High School (11-1) is among the most talented teams in the state, and while they dropped a game to Chaparral (57-42) on their home floor this season, Perry is a very difficult match-up as a result of their low-post presence of 7-foot junior Dylan Anderson. When Anderson and "Super Soph," 6-foot-6 sophomore wing Cody Williams both come to play, watch out. Perry has won their last (5) games, since their lone loss on the season, and it may suit them nicely over time, as they prepare for the state playoffs. Perry rounds out our Top 5 in the state's rankings.
Arizona Preps Super 25 Team Power Rankings (Regardless of Class / Division)
- St. Mary's High School (13-1) - 4A Division
- Sunnyslope High School (13-1) - 6A Division
- Salpointe Catholic (13-0) - 4A Division
- Mesa High School (13-1) - 6A Division
- Perry High School (11-1) - 6A Division
- Catalina Foothills High School (11-1) - 5A Division
- Ironwood High School (10-2) - 5A Division
- Valley Christian High School (13-0) - 3A Division
- Paradise Honors High School (12-2) - 4A Division
- Centennial High School (11-1) - 5A Division
- Highland High School (11-2) - 6A Division
- Gilbert High School (10-3) - 5A Division
- Snowflake High School (13-0) - 3A Division
- Nogales High School (10-1) - 5A Division
- Coconino High School (11-0) - 4A Division
- Pueblo High School (11-1) - 4A Division
- Liberty High School (11-2) - 6A Division
- Mountain Pointe High School (10-4) - 6A Division
- Deer Valley High School (11-1) - 4A Division
- San Tan Charter School (11-2) - 2A Division
- Scottsdale Christian High School (11-1) - 2A Division
- Rancho Solano Prep (14-2) - 2A Division
- Estrella Foothills High School (10-1) - 4A Division
- Phoenix Country Day (10-1) - 2A Division
- North Valley Christian Academy (12-1) - 1A Division
- Tri-City Christian Academy (15-1) - CAA Division
- Winslow High School (10-1) - 3A Division
- Coolidge High School (10-2) - 3A Division
- Benson High School (10-1) - 2A Division
- Pima High School (12-2) - 2A Division
Arizona Preps will continue to publish these weekly boy's Arizona Preps Super 25 Team Power Rankings throughout the remainder of the high school season each Friday. Stay tuned, as this COVID-19 pandemic season will continue to be intense and exciting, as fans are slowly being let back into the gymnasiums. Each of these divisions have their own unique teams and challenges for all those involved, but this is our staff's collection of the best of the best.