Last weekend, the Area Codes Frosh Soph Showcase event, organized by NCAA Certified scout Chad Groth, took place at Mesa High School. The event was well attended and Arizona Preps was on job, as we were able to bring you our list of top performers from this exciting exposure event for the state's best up-and-coming basketball prospects.
While the event, of course, did not have all of the state's top young prospects, and there are many, there was a nice crop of young talent. Of the players in attendance - here are my list of top performers from this year's event (In no particular order), led by the play of top-rated sophomore do-it-all forward Walter Talley of Desert Vista HS . . .
Walter Talley 6-7 SOPH Desert Vista HS - 2019 Class
- Talley is the class of the class, alongside Salpointe Catholic's Majok Deng and Hillcrest Prep's Josh Green, who were both not in participation in this event. Talley has really improved over the last year, as he has improved his overall feel and approach to the game quickly. Talley has improved his ability to score on the perimeter and also his handle of the basketball in the open floor. He has command presence on the basketball court. He is a very good playmaker off the dribble and also can score effectively around the basket. Talley is a man among boys on the floor already, and should only continue to improve a great deal over time. A native of New York where he was also highly regarded, Talley is a big time prospect over time. A very strong rebounder and finisher in the lane. A good overall defender that plays with excellent intensity.
Connor Braun 6-7 SOPH Valley Christian HS - 2019 Class
- Braun is a nice sized post prospect already with a very good body and an ability to run the floor nicely and make plays. He is an active low post player that can step outside and shoot the basketball with a soft touch. He needs to become more consistent in his shooting stroke, but he is agressive and competes. An active rebounder. Capable shotblocker. With hard work this young man will develop into a serious recruiting target over time. Has a bright future ahead.
Dana Hawkins 6-5 SOPH Gilbert HS - 2019 Class
- The younger brother of Arnecia and Armani Hawkins, whom both play at Arizona State for the women's program. Dana looks a lot like his father and is a nice sized forward prospect that should be able to play either forward spot on the floor over time. He has a strong, athletic frame and is able to make plays around the paint and from mid-range. He should develop his ability to stretch the defense over time. An active rebounder and defender, Hawkis is a high-energy wing prospect with a good competitive spirit. A good finisher. Has the potential to become one of the elite young prospects in the state.
Anthony Garza 6-foot-4 FR Shadow Ridge HS - 2020 Class
- Garza was one of the top overall performers in this year's event. A very skilled wing prospect with a nice repetoire of offensive moves and a very good shooting stroke. While very thin physically, Garza will need to add some serious weight and strength to his young frame over time, but he has time do so. He has a unique ability to make plays for himself amidst defensive pressure, and at a high rate. His ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter and with range really sets up the rest of his game. A good rebounder. Good ball handler and passer. Has excellent potential for the future.
Jalen Hopkins 6-2 SOPH Perry HS - 2019 Class
- The younger brother of current Fresno State player Jaron Hopkins, Jalen is much different as a player than Jaron was at the same point, but he is making a case for himself now as a player too. Hopkins is a slashing guard prospect with good quickness and athleticism. He is also a good scorer. A good ball handler and passer. A very good defender. Has the potential to become a serious division-I prospect.
Tramane Lee 6-4 SOPH Sierra Linda HS - 2019 Class
- Lee is a very skilled shooter with nice range on his shot. He uses his nice length of body to make slashing plays and drives to the basket, where he is a good finisher. A long, athletic slasher that is good in the open court. A good finisher. Good ball handler and driver in the lane. Solid passer. Has very good potential for the near future. Really liked this young man's upside.
Koby Garcia 6-2 SOPH Grants HS (NM) - 2019 Class
A sharp-shooting guard prospect with an abilityt ot make and create shots for himself off the dribble. He has a nice ability to stop while in motion and pop for the jump shot. He also posseses very nice body control and an ability to convert when under pressure. A good defender. Has good lateral quickness. A nice looking guard prospect for the future that can put up points in a hurry.
Isaac Monroe 5-11 FR Peoria HS - 2020 Class
- Monroe is a very skilled and electric guard prospect with a very good shooting stroke. He is capable of putting up baskets in a hurry and is capable of making shots from almost anywhere on the floor, although his shot selection can be very questionable at times. He is a high volume shooter, which does work in his advantage at times. Either way he is a very good looking guard prospect with excellent potential for the future. One of the top overall performers in this year's event. A very good ball handler. OK passer. Has a very bright future.
Cory Barnes 5-foot-8 SOPH Poston Butte HS - 2019 Class
- Barnes is a very skilled and crafty young point guard prospect with an excellent handle of the basketball and an ability to make plays for himself or others off the dribble. He can get into the lane quite easily and then set up a teammate with a pass, or look to finish himself. Needs to add physical size to his frame to maximize his potential, but he has time. Excellent quickness. A good shooter with range. Has an excellent feel.
Noah Self 5-10 SOPH Gilbert HS - 2019 Class
- Self is a very good looking young point guard prospect with a nice feel for the game and very good quickness. A facilitator and scorer with the basketball in his hands. A floor general that should develop into a serious guard prospect for college programs to consider.
John Price 6-6 SOPH Peoria HS - 2019 Class
- Price is a very active post talent with good size and length. He has a good overall skill level and is able to make and finish plays on the floor. Still raw overall, he has the physical tools to become a serious player. An active rebounder. Runs the floor. Good finisher. Has very good upside as a player.
Jackson Tillapaugh 6-6 SOPH Prescott HS - 2019 Class
- This young man has good size and length and a nice motor. He runs the floor hard and competes at a nice level. He has good length physyically and is an active rebounder. A solid shotblocker. Has good potential for the future.
Jonathan Garr 6-2 SOPH Camp Verde HS - 2019 Class
This young man is strong physically and very skilled for his size. A left handed shooter and scorer, Garr has a nice overall feel for the game and a good ability to make plays for himself. A good rebounder. Good defender.
Shmare Willis 5-9 FR Sierra Linda HS - 2020 Class
- Willis a superb young talent at the guard spot with loads of potential for the future. He has a nice overall offensive skillset that allows him to make plays for himself off the dribble. A very good ball handler and passer. Good defender.
Jaquan Moore 5-10 FR Shadow Ridge HS - 2020 Class
- Moore is is a quality young point guard with a slick handle of the basketball. He has very good quickness and can get to where he wants to on the floor. He sees the floor well and also pushes the basketball. Has a bright future.
Andrew Camacho 5-7 6th Grader Cheyenne Middle School - 2022 Class
- Camacho is a very skilled young guard prospect with a good feel for the game and excellent fundamentals. He should only get better over time and become one of the top young prospects in the state.
Kaleb Brown 5-9 SOPH Peoria HS - 2019 Class
A very good scorer of the basketball with a nice left-handed shooting stroke. A good shooter with range. Attacks off the dribble and is a good finisher. Good ball handler. Solid passer. Good defender.
Jonas Rogers 5-11 SOPH Mesa HS - 2019 Class
- A good shooter of the basketball with nice range on his shot. Has a good overall feel for the game. Skilled guard prospect that should really blossom over time as he grows physically. Scores in transition and likes an uptempo style. Good ball handler and a very good passer. A good defender. Like his potential as a player.