The Area Codes Easter Classic, organized by Tournament Director Chad Groth, took place this weekend at three different high schools in North Phoenix on Friday and Saturday. In a showcase format with no tournament championship, this event was designed to prepare the teams involved for next weekend's viewing period events in the West.
While I was unable to catch the action on Friday, I was however able to catch many games on Saturday, and here were the top performers on the day that I observed on the day in preparation for next weekend's viewing period . . .
Nick Allen 6-7 Junior Small Forward/Power Forward Willow Canyon HS - 2015
- Allen truly emerged on Saturday as an elite level prospect in Arizona's 2015 class. While before the spring I had not seen Allen perform, this young man proved that he is among the top prospects in the class with two strong performances on Saturday. An unheralded prospect before the event, Allen proved to be among the premier 3/4 prospects in the class for mid-major division-I college coaches to take a hard look at this spring and summer. Allen is a tough, gritty combo-forward prospect with deceiving athleticism and a high motor for himself. While he is not overly quick laterally, Allen is at his best defensively in the post but has an advanced skillset on the offensive end, which allows him to effectively score inside and out. He is capable of scoring either with his back to the basket with a variety of offensive moves, or while facing the basket out to three-point distance where he is able to make shots consistently. A nice looking prospect with a mean streak to him.
Kenzo Nudo 6-4 Junior Shooting Guard Chaparral HS - 2015
- Nudo is among the elite prospects at his position in the class and is having a very good spring for himself, thus far. A very good shooter of the basketball with a nice motor and good athleticism. Nudo is a heady performer that plays the game the right way and has really developed as a strong talent over the past two years. A strong shooter of the basketball with unlimited range and possessing a strong body, Nudo is able to score effectively in the half-court set and also in transition. A strong slasher and open court player as well, Nudo has an advanced skillset that allows him to be effective in any style of play. A superb talent that will raise many eyebrows this spring and summer at the mid-major plus level. Currently likes Santa Clara and Grand Canyon University as his two current leaders.
Dane Kuiper 6-7 Junior Small Forward Corona Del Sol HS - 2015 (University of New Mexico commit)
- Kuiper is a big-time athletic talent with very good size and strength. He possesses a nice athletic build combined with a nice motor and athleticism that allows him to play well above the rim. Turned in his best effort in sometime this weekend amidst inferior competition. Kuiper is explosive in the open floor and showed a good perimeter stroke in the two games I saw on Saturday. Also showed a good ability to defend and contest shots, while also rebounding the basketball and getting out on the break. The true test for Kuiper this club season will be against much tougher competition in the West, which will give me a much better indication of his improvement as a player, but he is a big time talent that has already given an early verbal commitment to the University of New Mexico.
Nate Renfro 6-7 Junior Small Forward Tucson Sahuaro HS - 2015
- Renfro continues to impress and has quickly developed into an elite level prospect in the 2015 class in the state. A very long and rangy prospect with exceptional bounce off the floor, Renfro has emerged as one of the top prospects in the class already this spring. Renfro's length and athleticism are glaring and he is able to make plays most prospects cannot. A very good rebounder and shotblocker, as a result of his tremendous length and athleticism. He will continue to improve a great deal over time as he adds size and strength to his very thin frame. Renfro is very active all over the floor and his motor allows him to stay in the play. Already one of my favorite prospects in the class, so the spring evaluation period will be very important in determining just how high his college recruitment will develop.
Kaveon Moore 6-4 Junior Shooting Guard Independence HS - 2015
- Moore had his best event of the spring, thus far as she showed that he is capable of playing both guard positions on the floor, although he is at his best as a coring guard where he is able to shoot the basketball with range on his shot. A very athletic guard prospect that is able score the basketball off dribble drives to the basket and in transition. Still developing his overall basketball IQ, but his ability to make plays on the offensive end should help with his development. A good defender with very good lateral quickness - a capable lock-down defender if he will focus on this area of his game. A developing prospect that has the potential to become a serious college prospect for the mid-major level.
Dakota Kordsiemon 6-3 Junior Shooting Guard Catalina Foothills HS - 2015
- Kordsiemon is a strong and well built physical talent that plays the game with a high motor and excellent intensity. He has a good overall feel for the game and gets to the right spot on the floor. A strong shooter of the basketball with an ability to get to the basket and finish against bigger defenders. A good rebounder for his size and a good defender that accepts challenges. While he does not possess much upside physically, he is a gritty performer that is what he is - a hardworker and a winner. His level of college recruitment will be determined this spring and summer by his ability to consistently knock down the perimeter jump shot.
Devante Fox 6-0 Senior Point Guard/Shooting Guard Queen Creek HS - 2014
- Fox is an almost unknown senior prospect that did not play during his senior season of high school basketball, but has played very well this spring in several events. A very skilled guard prospect with an excellent body, combined with a high motor, Fox is a crafty guard prospect that likes to score the basketball in bunches and is able to makes plays at a high level. Fox is a big-time shooter with unlimited range on his shot and a very strong upper body. While he is a rather unknown prospect currently, he would make a local junior college program in search of immediate backcourt help proud this spring.